Rod Carew Tries On My Glove, 1970
A few facts and vague memories:
- I'm the kid in the pink shirt in the center. It's my glove Rodney Cline is trying on.
- I think I was embarrassed by the pink shirt—not the color but the collar. I wanted to be wearing a T-shirt like my older brother (offering his glove to Carew).
- I was slightly embarrassed by the glove. I hadn't worked it in properly, and I had small hands, so the pinkie finger for the glove was particularly closed off. I think Rod made some mention of that. I think he counseled me to work on breaking in the glove better.
- It was a Stan Bahnsen glove that was bought for me at Korner Plaza in Richfield, Minn. A bit of irony, given my current feelings about the Yankees.
- Can you believe they didn't have any Twins gloves at Korner Plaza? None. No Killebrew, Oliva, Tovar, Carew. I mean Stan Effin' Bahnsen? You kidding me?
- It was Camera Day, Met Stadium, Bloomington, Minn., circa 1970.
- We have no idea who these other kids in the photo are.
- Nothing like a baseball stadium.