Friday May 12, 2017
The Baby in Chief
Today, the president of the United States tweeted the following about his former FBI director, who had been leading an investigation into the president's connections with Russia, and whom the president fired earlier this week:
James Comey better hope that there are no “tapes” of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 12, 2017
The mind reels. He is either a) very stupid, b) very guilty, or c) both. The lack of class speaks for itself.
- James Fallows on 5 reasons why Trump/Russia/Comey is worse than Watergate.
- Donald Trump invites Time Magazine to the White House, and is basically horrible.
- The National Review (The National Review!) with a concise rendering of the three possible reasons for the Comey firing.
- The Washington Post on Trump's anger and impatience before (and possibly leading to his) firing Comey.
- John Cassidy at The New Yorker on the complicity of Trump's craven Republican enablers. (That's the title, yo.)
- From a few weeks ago: David Remnick's great takedown on Trump's first 100 days.
- This New York Times editorial is refreshingly straightforward and thus brutal.