Thursday August 18, 2016
- Has anyone else read the faux “Seinfeld” 9/11 script? Wow. Just ...Wow.
- Why Richard Nixon said “I am not a crook” and how it relates to Donald J. Trump.
- The Donald Trump Comedy Hour by Tom Tomorrow. It's not funny cuz it's too fucking true.
- Speaking of: The New York Times records the unfiltered voices of a Trump rally.
- More Trump. His version of “Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening.”
- John Oliver kills it with this piece on the death of journalism. It's hardly news to most journalists but better than a kiss from Sam Zell. (Stick around for the “Spotlight” parody at the end starring Bobby Canavale.)
- Ichiro gets his 3,000th hit—a triple! He's the 30th man in the 3,000 club and the second to do it with a triple, after Paul Molitor.
- Joe Posnanski quickly recounts the legacy of Alex Rodriguez, who is suddenly retiring. To Poz, he's Citizen A-Rod.
- More Poz that refreshes: How the excellence of theOlympics makes armchair critics of us all.
- President Obama's summer reading list. I need to read “The Sixth Extinction.”
- Joe Henry's new song for Muhammad Ali.
- Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo makes a nice grab here. Good dismount, too.
- The long ties, financial and otherwise, between Donald Trump's campaign chairman and the Russian-backed ruling party in Ukraine. Sad!
- For the folks still thinking of voting for Trump, read about how his words are used to further anti-Americanism in the Middle East. Michele Bachmann's and Louie Gohmert's, too.
- A 2015 Bloomberg piece on the man now running Donald Trump's campaign: Steve Bannon on the Breitbart site. Extra credit from 2014: Why Breitbart's Big Hollywood is wrong about everything, by yours truly.