Sunday December 08, 2019
LA Critics Pick ‘Parasite’
I like that the LA Film Critics includes runner-ups. It's like a built-in discussion. Hell, I'd be cool with top 3. The Oscars is a zero-sum game in comparison.
Anyway, this is that body's choices for 2019, along with a few thoughts from me:
I‘ve seen both; I’m hoping there's better. I already think there's better, but I get the appeal of these.
- Director: Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)
- Runner-up: Martin Scorsese (The Irishman)
Same same. Neither is a bad pick.
- Actor: Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory)
- Runner-up: Adam Driver (Marriage Story)
Haven't seen “Pain and Glory” but Adam Driver is among my front-runners, along with Joaquin Phoenix and Leo DiCaprio—neither of whom seem to be getting much critic love at this point in the season.
- Actress: Mary Kay Place (Diane)
- Runner-up: Lupita Nyong'o (Us)
Apparently MKP is great in “Diane,” a way under-the-radar movie I‘ll have to check out. Lupita is my frontrunner.
- Supporting Actor: Song Kang Ho (Parasite)
- Runner-up: Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
The Toronto critics went with Brad Pitt in “Once Upon a Time...” That’s my choice.
- Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lopez (Hustlers)
- Runner-up: Zhao Shuzhen (The Farewell)
Need to see “Hustlers.” So far, Zhao, the grandmother in “The Farewell, is my choice.
- Screenplay: Noah Baumbach (Marriage Story)
- Runner-up: Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won (Parasite)
- Documentary: American Factory
- Runner-up: Apollo 11
I need to see ”Apollo 11" soon. Shame I didn't on the big screen.