Saturday February 18, 2017
The Science of Stopping Trump
John Holdren, the top science adviser to Pres. Barack Obama, spoke at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science on Friday, in Boston, and among other things offered up this advice to his fellow scientists for navigating the anti-intellectual, anti-science and anti-fact-based administration of Donald Trump. It's good advice for all of us:
- Don't be discouraged or intimidated.
- Keep doing your science ... don't change what you do or how you think about what you do or its importance.
- Become more broadly informed about science and scientific issues.
- Tithe at least 10 percent of your time to public service ... including activism.
- We as a community need to think carefully about how to focus and utilize our activities to try to insure the continuation, momentum, and the integrity of science in this new era.
I like “tithe.”