Monday September 23, 2019
I‘ve been thinking about compiling a list on the horrors of Donald Trump and his presidency, since he, and we, keep moving on. It’s as if after the Watergate break-in, Nixon had admitted it, then said it wasn't illegal, then kept doing it—bugging hotels in other cities where Democrats were meeting and strategizing—while simultaneously embracing Brezhnev and Pol Pot, knocking Pierre Trudeau and Georges Pompidou, and attacking Walter Cronkite. That, but worse. A thousand times worse.
Anyway, I don't have to compile such a list now because David Leonhardt has done it for us. Please read it, remind yourself of it, memorize it. We need to arm ourselves.
- He has pressured a foreign leader to interfere in the 2020 American presidential election.
- He urged a foreign country to intervene in the 2016 presidential election.
- He divulged classified information to foreign officials.
- He publicly undermined American intelligence agents while standing next to a hostile foreign autocrat.
- He encourages foreign leaders to enrich him and his family by staying at his hotels.
- He spends hours on end watching television and days on end staying at resorts.
- He often declines to read briefing books or perform other basic functions of a president's job.
How much of the federal government remains unstaffed? Or is headed by someone antithetical to its cause? Or by someone who plans to monetize it for his/her own purposes? It's like that scene in “The Sopranos” where Tony takes over the sporting goods store of a friend and they just pick it to death; he and his cronies tear it apart like a roast turkey. That's what Trump is doing to our government and our country.
Read, remind, memorize.