“Star Trek”/“Star Wars” Parallels
Anyone else notice the parallels between the latest “Star Trek” and the original “Star Wars”? Examples:
- Opening battle between a small ship and a GIGANTIC ship, which immediately has us rooting for the small ship—the underdog. Meanwhile, what escapes from the small ship is the key to the eventual destruction of the gigantic ship.
- The fatherless, seemingly parentless, farmboy gazing up at the stars, at what he might be.
- The destruction, a third of the way through the film, of an entire planet and its billions of souls, which affects several main characters greatly.
- The discovery of the hooded wise man in the cave, who teaches the young buck the proper way and his proper destiny.
- The destruction of the bad guys by the two archetypal characters: in “Star Wars,” innocent and rebel; here, extrovert and introvert, emotion and logic. In both films, these two characters start out enemies but become fast friends.
- In the end, the triumphant farmboy is feted at a medal ceremony in front of the entire fleet.
That's just off the top of my head. More? Anyone?
ADDENDUM: In this construct, Uhura has the Princess Leia role: the feisty girl the farmboy is after and the other guy winds up with. In the original “Star Trek” series, the threeway was between Kirk, Spock and McCoy, with Kirk listening to input from both logic (Spock) and emotion (McCoy) and then deciding on the best course of action. But in this film, Uhura seems to have a bigger part than McCoy. Part of the “Star Wars”izaton of the series? Who knows?
ADDENDUM: Via a back-and-forth on Facebook, we got this:
Spock: Jim, the statistical likelihood that our plan will succeed is 4.3 percent
Kirk: Spock, it'll work.
C-3PO: Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1!
Han Solo: Never tell me the odds!
ADDENDUM, 8/7: “Star Trek: Confusion”
Aaron Reid wrote:
Comment posted on Mon. May 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM
Mister B wrote:
Comment posted on Mon. May 11, 2009 at 03:56 PM
Comment posted on Mon. May 11, 2009 at 06:59 PM
Comment posted on Tue. May 12, 2009 at 07:37 AM
Comment posted on Wed. Jun 03, 2009 at 06:54 PM
Movie Reviews - 2013
Movie Reviews - 2012
Movie Reviews - 2011
Movie Reviews - 2010
Movie Reviews - 2009
Movie Reviews - 2000s
Movie Reviews - 1990s
Movie Reviews - 1980s
Movie Reviews - 1970s
Movie Reviews - 1960s
Movie Reviews - 1950s
Movie Reviews - 1940s
Movie Reviews - 1930s
Movie Reviews - 1920s
Movies - Box Office
Movies - Documentaries
Movies - Foreign
Movies - The Oscars
Movies - Scene of the Day
Movies - Studios
Movies - Theaters
Movies - Trailers
Quote of the Day
What Liberal Hollywood?
Box Office Mojo
The Film Experience
Large Ass Movie Blogs