Thursday May 19, 2016
SIFF-List 2016: from 'Weiner' to 'Wiener-Dog'
Yes, Diane Kruger made it easier to choose “Disorder” (orig. title: “Maryland”).
Today the Seattle International Film Festival opens with Woody Allen's “Cafe Society.” Should be fun barring protests from Frank Sinatra lookalikes.
It's always both fun (and time-consuming) figuring out which movies to see at SIFF. I usually get a 20-pack in the fall and in the spring I figure out how to use them. This year I rolled the dice with the list below:
- Weiner: USA, documentary
- The Lovers and the Despot: USA, documentary
- Chimes at Midnight (1965): a good print of Orson Welles' little-seen classic
- Welcome to Norway!: Norway, Comedy/drama
- The People vs. Fritz Bauer: Germany, drama
- Disorder: France/Belgium, thriller (“Maryland,” the original, is a better title)
- A Man Called Ove: Sweden, comedy
- Wiener-Dog, USA, comedy
- Truman: Spain, comedy-drama
- Whistleblower: Philippines, drama
- Tower, USA, animated/drama/documentary
- The Brand New Testament, Belgium, comedy
- Women He's Undressed: Australia, documentary
- Dragon Inn (1967): Taiwan, action-drama
- NUTS!: USA, documentary
- The General (1927): USA, comedy, Buster Keaton
If you hear anything good (or bad), let me know.