My Oscar Picks
Every year we have an Oscar pool, and every year friends tell me they can't do it because they haven't seen enough (or any) of the nominated movies, and every year I tell them the same thing. You're better off that way. You don't have any opinions. You can vote with the head and not the heart.
The picks below are heart picks; they're what I want to win. Your mileage will vary—particularly if you like “Mad Max.” (See Nathaniel at Film Experience, who inspired this post):
- PICTURE: “The Revenant,” but I'd be happy with “The Big Short” or “Spotlight.”
- DIRECTOR: Alejandro Inarritu, “The Revenant.”
- ACTOR: Leo, damnit, for “The Revenant.” One, he's most deserving; and, two, let's get this over with already and move on.
- ACTRESS: Charlotte Rampling, “45 Years,” although I'm not passionate here.
- SUPPORTING ACTOR: Mark Rylance, “Bridge of Spies,” although Sly makes for a better story, and let's face it this is a stacked category.
- SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Rooney Mara, “Carol.” If she'd been nominated in lead, I would've picked her there, too.
- ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Pete Docter, et al., for “Inside Out.”
- ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Charles Randolph and Adam McKay for “The Big Short,” a book that no one, including its author, could envision as a movie. These guys nailed it.
- CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmaneul Lubezki, “The Revenant,” but I'd be happy for the oft-nom'ed, never-won Roger Deakins winning for “Sicario.”
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: “Theeb,” yo! Sadly, haven't seen any of the others, even though three (“Son of Saul,” “Mustang” and “A War”) are currently playing in Seattle. Who wants to go this week?
- ANIMATED FEATURE: “Inside Out,” although I haven't seen most of the others.
- PRODUCTION DESIGN: Adam Stockhausen, et al., for “Bridge of Spies.”
- FILM EDITING: Hank Corwin, “The Big Short.”
- COSTUME DESIGN: Sandy Powell for “Carol.”
- VISUAL: Andrew Whitehurst, et al., for “Ex Machina,” although I'll take “Star Wars.”
- MAKEUP AND HAIR: Lesley Vanderwalt, et al. for “Mad Max.” I'll give them this one since there are only two other options, and “100 Year Old Man” should not win.
- ORIGINAL SCORE: No skin in this game.
- ORIGINAL SONG: Blech. Worst category, year after year.
- SOUND MIXING: I don't know enough about this to have an opinion.
- SOUND EDITING: Seriously, what do I know?
- DOCUMENTARY: Wow, I haven't seen any of these! When was the last time that happened?
- DOC SHORT: Someday I have to get off my ass and see the shorts before the Oscars.
- LIVE ACTION SHORT: See above.
- ANIMATED SHORT: See above.