Mitch McConnell Makes America Weak
These are the bills recently blocked by Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell:
- A bipartisan bill requiring Facebook, Google and other Internet companies to disclose purchasers of political ads, to identify foreign influence.
- A bipartisan bill to ease cooperation between state election officials and federal intelligence agencies.
- A bipartisan bill imposing sanctions on any entity that attacks a U.S. election.
- A bipartisan bill with severe new sanctions on Russia for its cybercrimes.
Astonishing. Even in the age of Trump, it's astonishing. And worrying. Legitimately worrying. It's from Dana Milbank's piece, “Mitch McConnell is a Russian Asset,” in The Washington Post. Milbank argues even if McConnell isn't a spy he might as well be; he's doing so much dirty work for Putin. He's doing what he can to leave American elections open to foreign influence.
And his stated rationale? For a fifth bill that would earmark $600 mil to the states to provide paper ballot backups? “It's just a highly partisan bill from the same folks who spent two years hyping up a conspiracy theory about President Trump and Russia.”
I assume the real rationale is this: He doesn't think Trump and the Republicans can win without foreign influence. So he's inviting it. To keep power.
Add it to the list. The GOP already can't win without any the following:
- Dark money
- Election suppression
- Right-wing propaganda (FOX, Rush, Sinclair, Breitbart, et al.)
- Foreign, enemy influence
McConnell has fought for all of the above. He's put party above country. I have no words for what an un-American scumbag he is. I would need David Simon's lexicon to nail it properly.
But look at that list. Look at that undemocratic list.
We need to get rid of both of these fuckers in 2020. For the sake of the country.