Wednesday February 09, 2022
McConnell vs. Trump: Fracases of the Jackasses
Today I read a few articles on this moment's GOP rift, which is basically between the “stay in power by unethical/hypocritical means” group, led by the Prince of Darkness, Mitch McConnell; and the “WE WUZ ROBBED, FUCK YOU, JAN. 6 IS GREAT!” sect, led by that shitstain on American history, Donald Trump.
The former group sees a focus on Jan. 6 as counterproductive to the Midterms. The latter group wants a celebration of Jan. 6 and a vindication for its insane charge that the 2020 election was stolen.
And that's the dilemma. They can't really win without Trump but Trump is pushing them toward arguments that won't help them win. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of assholes.
BTW, someone recently posted a clip of Hillary during one of the 2016 debates in which she listed off the number of times Trump claimed the game was rigged against him whenever he lost or was losing. And this was in 2016, mind you. Her examples include:
- The Iowa caucus
- The Wisconsin primary
- The Trump U lawsuit
- The Emmys
“This is a mindset,” she added. “This is how Donald thinks. And it's funny. But it's also really troubling.”
She nailed it. She nailed him. Crazy what we could've had. Instead we've got crazy.
- “McConnell was right to criticize the RNC's censure resolution. Now, he should answer these questions.” by Jennifer Rubin in The Washington Post. Her questions include: “How can a party go on record as condoning a violent uprising and still pretend to defend the U.S. Constitution?” “How can the party take direction from former president Donald Trump, the instigator of the violent insurrection? How can it continue to support his ambitions to run for president in 2024?” And “If the riot on Jan. 6, 2021, was a violent insurrection, as McConnell acknowledged, was the acquittal of Trump in his second impeachment trial unwise?”
- “Fox News is trapped: Examining its bizarre recent coverage of Trump's coup attempt” by Matt Gertz for Media Matters.
- “All the ways Trump tried to overturn the election — and how it could happen again” by Rosalind S. Helderman for The Washington Post. This one's scary. And time is running out for someone else to have a go.
- “Republicans Can't Decide Whether to Celebrate Trump's Coup Plot or Ignore It” by Jonathan Chait in New York Magazine.
- “Trump attacks McConnell after he criticizes RNC censure of two House Republicans probing Jan. 6 insurrection” by John Wagner for The Washington Post. The fact that, among his accusations, Trump misspelled “incompetent” is so, so on-brand.