Tuesday October 06, 2015
Lancelot Links Goes to 'Jaws 19'
- Jeff Wells has a nice quick write-up on Michael Shannon, who's in two movies getting awards attention this fall.
- A day before the last day of the regular season, Max Scherzer of the Washington Nationals pitched one of the great games in baseball history: a no-hitter in which he struck out 17 and walked nobody. Only an error in the 5th prevented a perfect game. It's Scherzer's second no-hitter of the season and only five other pitchers have ever done that. Scherzer's no-nos came against the Pirates on June 20th and the Mets October 3rd, and both teams are playoff-bound. Has that ever happened? No. David Schoenfield crunches the numbers.
- Nice piece by Kostya Kennedy on all the have-nots of baseball making the postseason this year. Not that I was exactly unaware.
- John Oliver on guns and mental health. But mostly mental health. Good last line.
- I realized this years ago but it's nice to see someone hold Kate Winslet's “Titanic” character responsible for the death of Jack.
- E.J. Dionne applauds Pres. Obama turning the word “politicize” back on its do-nothing users.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson tells Reddit users the 8 essential books every intelligent person should read and Maria Popova objects that there's no women on the list. Really? I'd just be happy if people (including me) read these books. She adds, “Tyson's selections remain indispensable despite their chromosomal lopsidedness.” So there's that.
- 2015 is the year Marty McFly landed in “Back to the Future II,” so we've been getting various cultural reminders throughout the year. Here's a good one: a trailer to the movie in a background marquee: “Jaws 19” (“This time, it's really personal.”) The faux trailer is great, but do you know what remains unstated in H. Perry Horton's synopsis? By the time “BTTFII” was released in 1990, the Jaws series was up to “Jaws IV.” And there it's remained. There hasn't been a “Jaws” sequel since. In a way, the piece made me nostalgic for a time in which Hollywood kept making “Jaws” sequels I never went to see. Cf. Holden's last line in “The Catcher in the Rye.”
- Long read of the week: William Finnegan on Univision's Jorge Ramos and his recent run-in with Donald Trump. Check out the Ann Coulter parts. But I would've ended the piece one sentence earlier.
A “Back to the Future” sequel mocking Hollywood sequels. Now it all feels so nostalgic.
Tags: Jaws, Jeffrey Wells, Michael Shannon, NRA
What Trump Said When About COVID
Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)
Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
Blonde Crazy (1931)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935)
Something to Sing About (1937)
Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)
Come Fill the Cup (1951)
A Lion Is In the Streets (1953)
Man of a Thousand Faces (1957)
Never Steal Anything Small (1959)
Shake Hands With the Devil (1959)
Posts by Category