Tuesday August 14, 2012
- Interesting Salon.com piece by Mitzi Trumbo, daughter of Dalton, one of the Hollywood 10, on why Kirk Douglas should not get credit for “breaking the blacklist” simply because her father's name appeared as a screen credit on “Spartacus.”
- From a few weeks back: Malcolm Gladwell on Alberto Salazar and the slack between “what is possible, under conditions of absolute effort, and actual performance.” How do men like Salazar keep pushing until they are almost dead? How do they come to like it?
- Whither the Oak Creek shootings? Why so little attention paid to such a slaughter? Naunihal Singh on the New Yorker site: “...it is hard to escape the conclusion that Oak Creek would have similarly dominated the news cycle if the shooter had been Muslim and the victims had been white churchgoers.”
- Speaking of Muslims, Sikhs and the Oak Creek shootings: My post on same, plus Spike Lee's “Inside Man” made the Daily Dish site. Last month, Andrew Sullivan's site linked to my post on Louis CK and Proust, and in one day I got as many hits as I normally get in a month. My Sikh/“Inside Man” post? As many hits as I normally get in... three days. Sikh schmeek, apparently.
- Scrabble anyone? The Word Cup Scrabble competition took place in St. Paul, Minn., this year, and, of course, the old man, my father, Bob Lundegaard, showed up. He's quoted at the end of the article. Give him seven letters, he'll give you a bingo.
- Nathaniel Rogers, noted actressexual and host of The Film Experience, posted the image below on his Facebook page and I had to laugh, particularly since Heath Ledger looks like he's totally joking around while JMG looks properly staid and orderly and “Holy class clown, Batman!” Me being me, I had to bring up the battle of the Gwen Stacys in 1960s Mississippi...
- Finally, this “What If?” ad, created by fans of the Cleveland Indians to attack their home team's front office, will make sense to any fan of the Seattle Mariners, who, let's face it, have had it worse. The Indians, remember, were a couple of games from the World Series in 2007. The M's haven't seen the postseason since 2001. They've never seen the inside of a World Series. Plus they got Omar from us: