- The New York Times lets us know their top 10 books of the year. I've read exactly zero. Should I try Franzen again?
- One of my childhood heroes is battling cancer. More later.
- Andrew Breitbart, manufacturer of the Shirley Sherrod controversy last summer, continues his quest to be the biggest jerk in the western world.
- Beautiful little post from Josh Wilker here on grace and Doc Gooden.
- The Winklevoss twins, now and forever known as the “Winklevii” thanks to either Mark Zuckerberg or Aaron Sorkin, are still fighting their legal settlement. Mostly, though, they're fighting their supporting role in history, their walk-on status. It's awful when your story stops being your own. Welcome to the asterisk, kids. Most of us aren't even there.
- Karen Durbin at the Times gives us five movies worth another look. Two of them (“Un Prophete” and “A Film Unfinished”) are among my favorite movies of the year. The other three (“Animal Kingdom,” “Fish Tank” and “Never Let Me Go”) I haven't seen. Now I will.
- Michael Cieply writes of the strong slate of documentaries in 2010 without once mentioning the best of the lot: “Restrepo.”
- My friend Jerry Grillo posted this Vic Chesnutt remembrance on Facebook.
- My friend Jerry Grillo writes this remembrance of his Uncle Bill, who nearly pitched with Bob Feller, who recently passed away.
- My friend Andy Engelson writes about 20 untranslatable words. Here's to wabi-sabi. Here's to hyggelig.
- My friend Jim Walsh, as well as other Minneapolis music critics, list their best songs/albums/shows of 2010. From Jim's suggestions, and via the snippets on iTunes, I've already bought “Detroit Detroit” and “Sun's Gonna Shine.”
Weclome to 2011, everyone. Let's get it right this time.
Jerry Grillo wrote:
Comment posted on Mon. Jan 03, 2011 at 09:54 AM
Comment posted on Mon. Jan 03, 2011 at 01:07 PM
You may bypass the ID fields and security question below if you log in before commenting.
Receive notification of further comments via e-mail