- I have to admit I'm a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to the Internet—it wastes too much time, it doesn't make enough money, there's so, so much crap on it—but every once in a while it tosses up something beautiful. This week it's Danny MacAskill's “Inspired Bicycles” video, which is like parkour for bike riders. I love this kind of thing because I'm so not like this. Kids, don't try this at home.
- Speaking of bikes and “crazy,” my friend Andy Engelson, who recently moved to Hanoi, finally got his bike out and rode around in Vietnamese traffic. Let Danny MacAskill try that!
- Over at the Film Experience blog, Nathaniel Rogers crunched the foreign-language Oscar numbers and came up with: “France.” That's the country that has the most recent noms and the most noms all-time. I love this kind of thing. Scroll down and it's obviously a work in progress, too, so keep coming back. It also raises questions. Beyond borders, what does the Academy reward? Or ignore? I think this looking at France. In the last 20 years, the one French film that actually won best foreign-language film was...Indochine? Long and stately and self-important without making a lick of sense. But the Academy's gotten better in recent years. Haven't they?
- Interesting column by David Leonhardt of the Times on med-mal practice and insurance rates. The money quote: “Here, then, is the brief version of the facts: The direct costs of malpractice lawsuits—jury awards, settlements and the like—are such a minuscule part of health spending that they barely merit discussion, economists say. But that doesn’t mean the malpractice system is working.”
- Will Ferrell Answers Internet Questions. One of the best takes on the lack of civility around these parts.
- I didn't watch the Emmys last Sunday (who does?) but I did check out Neil Patrick Harris' opening song, “Put Down the Remote,” which was a lot of fun and veered toward brilliance halfway through with this verse:
Straight from “Mad Men” there's Joan
Oh, the curves she's shown
They could make a blind man say “Damn”
She could turn a gay straight
Never mind, there's Jon Haaaaaaam!
And yes, I checked it out online for free. I'm part of the problem. But I'm trying to be civil. I'm trying real hard.
Uncle Vinny wrote:
Comment posted on Thu. Sep 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM
Uncle Vinny wrote:
Comment posted on Thu. Sep 24, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Mister B wrote:
Comment posted on Fri. Sep 25, 2009 at 12:44 AM
Aaron Reid wrote:
Comment posted on Fri. Sep 25, 2009 at 09:02 AM
Twitter: @ErikLundegaardTweets by @ErikLundegaard