Wednesday August 03, 2016
- The Young Han Solo auditions on Conan. Jeff Goldblum is my favorite. Jeff Goldblum is frequently my favorite.
- Griffey on his dash home on Edgar's double. If you have to ask, “What dash? Which double?,” you're obviously not from Seattle.
- Another former M making good: Steve Rudman culls some interesting stats from Ichiro's near 3,000 hits.
- John Oliver kills it on the Republican National Convention. Specifically, he talks about feelings. People feel less safe (they're not). People feel the economy is getting worse (it's not). Someone cue Morris Albert.
- Jon Chait makes the case for Tim Kaine. “Qualification for office, and the opposition's complete lack thereof, also happen to be the main issues over which the election is being contested. Or have we forgotten that already?”
- Maybe my favorite piece in a long while: Dan Savage savages voting for Jill Stein for president, and wonders why the Green Party (of all parties) doesn't do grassroots.
- David Remnick on the Trump-Ailes axis: one benefits from the B.S. the other built. On Ailes: “At each stage of his career, he has helped amplify the reactionary memes of the moment: Willie Horton, Whitewater, Travelgate, Monica Lewinsky, the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, Benghazi, 'the war on Christmas.'”
- Jim Ruttenberg and Emily Steel's dig into the culture of sexual harassment at Fox News. It ain't pretty.
- I agree with this assessment of the Yankees' trade deadline moves: “...on the day the Yankees admitted defeat in 2016, it felt triumphant.” They restocked their farm system. They're poised for 2018 and beyond. Crap.