And the 2014 Best Picture Goes to ...
Rather than do individual posts for the best picture awards given out by critics' groups and/or industry groups for the 2014 season, I thought I'd just list them here and update periodically.
The parenthetical number next to the group/review/circle/society/association is the number of times its best pic agreed with the Academy's best pic since 2000. In some ways, the less often they agree, the more I respect them, since the Academy has made some pretty blisteringly awful choices.
Here they are, listed in more or less the order the award was announced.
- New York Film Critics Circle (4): Boyhood
- National Board of Review (2) : A Most Violent Year
- Boston Society of Film Critics (5.5) : Boyhood
- LA Film Critics (1): Boyhood
- The Washington DC Area Film Critics Association (5): Boyhood
- San Francisco Film Critics Circle (1 since 2008): Boyhood
- Dallas/Fort Worth Film Critics Association (1 since 2009): Birdman
- Chicago Film Critics (6): Boyhood
- Village Voice Film Poll (?): Boyhood
Chicago has agreed with the Academy most often, by the way, because it also chose “Crash” as its best picture of 2005. For which I blame the late, great Roger Ebert.