erik lundegaard

Jordy's Review: “Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1”

Another must-read movie review by my nine-year-old nephew Jordy...

I went to see this at 7:45 on Opening Day because I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I walk in early to get good seats and wait for it to start. When the movie starts, I become hooked. With its great comedic moments, fantastic acting, amazing special effects, and stunning visuals, this is going to be one of the most money-making movies of 2010. Daniel Radcliffe stars as Harry Potter, as he begins (it says part 1 because it’s not his whole adventure, and Part 2 is scheduled for July 2011 release) his journey for Vol- -wait, I better say He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Nam- aw, I’ll just say Voldemort’s Horcruxes.

Meanwhile, Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) help him find the Horcruxes. The main cast is excellent, and probably understands their characters well. The visuals were chosen wisely, and they seem to be taking the backgrounds straight from the books. The dialogue could have been better, but at least they took some of the lines from the books. The special effects are great, but I think they should’ve taken a look at Prisoner Of Askaban’s special effect’s and realized that it has the best special effects in the series because they’re not either a flash of light, a line, or sparks flying, they’re actually a bright light that is creative and cool. The action scenes really took a lot of the special effects to work, and, as I already said, the special effects are great, so the action scenes work really well and they seem to take place right when they should in the book.

Speaking of which, the movie follows the book really well, and seems as though they had a copy of the book while they were filmmaking and making sure that people who read the book wouldn’t be mad if they took out one of their favorite parts of the book. The cinematography usually works, but during one scene (which was an action scene with people chasing them), I couldn’t really tell what was happening. Yeah, I know it was probably just sparks flying, but the camera was too zoomed-in for you to tell what spells they’re using, and where the people who were chasing them were. It’s not really important, but it still is a problem.

Another thing I didn’t like about the movie was that unless you have read the book, it could be kind of hard to follow. Also, the ending was kind of disappointing because it makes it seem like J.K.Rowling would be making another book. However, Harry Potter 7 is definitely a great, emotional movie that really succeeds in being entertaining, funny, sometimes scary, and is definitely going to win at least one Oscar this year.

Let’s just hope that Part 2 can be even better. I think this is one of the best movies of the year, and I hope you will agree.

(New: 0 to 100 % and age recommendation!) 87%, Iffy For:13+

No tags
Posted at 05:29 PM on Sat. Nov 20, 2010 in category Jordy's Reviews  

COMMENTS

Andy E wrote:

Great review Jordy! I think maybe I should start from the beginning instead of seeing this one since I've never seen a Harry Potter movie (crazy, I know). Which would you recommend as the best one?

And I'm sure I'll get a chance to see all of them when my daughters are a little older....

Comment posted on Sat. Nov 20, 2010 at 08:23 PM

Jerry Grillo wrote:

Jordy, this is very helpful. You're nine and ny son is nine, so I think he'll enjoy this. We'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Great writing, by the way.

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 21, 2010 at 07:28 AM

Jim Pollock wrote:

Great article, Jordy. I totally agree about Azkaban--the visuals were fantastic--and this review makes me excited to see Deathly Hallows. Thanks for making a special guest appearance on Erik's site!

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 21, 2010 at 08:40 AM

Jordy wrote:

Andy E: It might be hard to follow the story if you don't see the first one. Also, my favorite movie of the seven so far is Prisoner Of Azkaban.

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 21, 2010 at 09:42 AM

Becky Tempest wrote:

Nice review Jordy. Is the movie complete as is or do they leave you hanging at the end? And how was the scary factor?

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Jordy wrote:

I think it's the scariest of the series, and they do leave you hanging at the end.

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 21, 2010 at 11:36 AM

David Hirning wrote:

Hey, cool review. This nine-year-old is a good writer and can only get better. Eventually he will surpass his uncle :-)

I have to admit I'm not much of Harry Potter fan. I read the first one and saw this first movie (and maybe the second) but it doesn't capture me the way, say, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. But that's probably a function of those books/movies being already out when I was your age, and you can chalk it up to sentimentalism and basically being an old fogey.

I may end up seeing this, probably when it comes out on video, just to see what all the fuss is about and so I can know what I'm talking about when I razz Myriam P. My 13-year-old son already saw it. I should make him write a review, because with his usual volubility he said it was “good.” End of review :-)

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 21, 2010 at 03:16 PM

mcgyver5 wrote:

Great review. I totally agree that P of A had the best special effects. I'm glad they had a copy of the book to work with this time around.

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 21, 2010 at 04:10 PM

Bob Lundegaard wrote:

Great job, Jordy. Nice choice of adjectives, the critic's stock in trade.

Just what this family needs, another movie critic!!

Love,

Bedstefar

Comment posted on Mon. Nov 22, 2010 at 01:14 PM

Jim Buchta wrote:

Jordy,
I enjoyed your review A LOT and as someone who hasn't seen any of the moves (I know, I should be sent to a very terrible place - would that be the “deathly hallows?”), but I really appreciated getting an “insider's view”of how closely the movie follows the book. Good job on the review and thanks for the insights!

Comment posted on Mon. Nov 22, 2010 at 02:30 PM

Jordy wrote:

Jim Buchta: the Deathly Hollows are not a place, but i'm not telling what they are exactly, that would take away enjoying the movie, because you'd wait to hear exactly what they are

Comment posted on Mon. Nov 22, 2010 at 06:32 PM

Sanne wrote:

Hi Jordy,

I also enjoyed your review. I was just wondering what you mean when you say that the ending makes it seem as if J.K. Rowling is going to write another book?

Comment posted on Fri. Nov 26, 2010 at 01:34 PM

Kyla wrote:

Nice job, absolutely. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, too. (And all the other writers in your family!)

I'm wondering what you thought about the portrayals of the ups and downs of the friendships. I thought the actors did a really good job with that.

Also, I thought it was really scary. I'd recommend to the parents that if possible you see it first, because only you know how your kid is likely to react.

Comment posted on Sun. Nov 28, 2010 at 06:22 PM

Kyla wrote:

You and all the other writers, Jordy! I meant YOU and all the other writers in your family....

Comment posted on Mon. Nov 29, 2010 at 04:54 AM

You may bypass the ID fields and security question below if you log in before commenting.


 
 






« FOX News: Accusing Others of Its Own Crimes   |   Home   |   Hollywood B.O.: Potter Flies, Skyline Drops »
 RSS    Facebook

Twitter: @ErikLundegaard

ARCHIVES
LINKS
dative-querulous